She was married to EDMUND MORTIMER. Children were: ROGER MORTIMER .
He was married to BLANCHE DE BRIENNE. Children were: MARGERY DE FIENES .
He was married to MAUD FITZ GEOFFREY. Children were: ISABEL BEAUCHAMP.
She was married to WILLIAM DE BRAOSE. Children were: WILLIAM DE BRAOSE.
He was married to MARGERY DE BIGOD . Children were: HENRY HASTINGS.
She was married to ALAN FITZ FLAALD . Children were: WILLIAM FITZ ALAN.
He was married to UNKNOWN. Children were: AVELINE DE HESDIN.
She was married to GEOFFREY DE NEUFMARCHE. Children were: BERNARD DE NEUFMARCHE.
He was married to ISABEL BIGOD . Children were: MAUD FITZ GEOFFREY.
He was married to UNKNOWN. Children were: HUGH DE LACY.
He was married to ROSE DE CLARE. Children were: WALTER DE LACY .
He was married to MARGARET DE QUINCY. Children were: MAUD DE LACY.
She was married to RICHARD DE CLARE. Children were: THOMAS DE CLARE.
He was married to MAUD OR MATILDA DE CLARE. Children were: JOHN DE LACY.
He was married to MARGARET DE BRAOSE. Children were: GILBERT DE LACY*.
She was married to PIERS DEGENEVILLE. Children were: JOAN DEGENEVILLE (COUNTESS OF MARCHE).
She was married to WILLIAM DE ALBINI. Children were: ISABELLA DE ALBINI.
She was married to JOHN DE LACY . Children were: MAUD DE LACY.
He was married to HAWISE MESCHINES. Children were: MARGARET DE QUINCY.
She was married to RICHARD FITZ ALAN. Children were: EDMUND FITZ ALAN.
He was married to LEUGIA DE CEVA. Children were: ALIZONA DE SALUZZA .
He was married to UNKNOWN. Children were: ISABEL DE SAY.
She was married to WILLIAM FITZ ALAN . Children were: JOHN FITZ ALAN.
She was married to WILLIAM DE BRAOSE. Children were: REGINALD DE BRAOSE *.
She was married to PHILIP DE BRAOSE. Children were: WILLIAM DE BRAOSE .
She was married to JOHN FITZ ALAN. Children were: JOHN FITZ ALAN.
She was married to WILLIAM DE WARREN. Children were: ALICE DE WARREN.
She was married to ROBERT DE BELLMONT (OR BEAUMONT). Children were: WILLIAM DE WARENE (WARREN?).
He was married to ADELA TALOIS. Children were: ISABEL DE WARENE (PLANTAGENET).
She was married to WILLIAM EARL MORTAIN*. Children were: ISABEL DE WARRENE (PLANTAGENET).
He was married to ALICE LE BRUN (1). Children were: WILLIAM DE WARREN .
She was married to EDMUND FITZ ALAN . Children were: RICHARD FITZ ALAN.
He was married to JOAN DE VERE. Children were: ALICE DE WARREN .
She was married to ROGER BIGOD. Children were: HUGH BIGOD *.
He was married to UNKNOWN. HE WAS GRANTED A 36
ACRE TRACT OF LAND IN 1203, KNOWN AS HOOLEY HOUSE, FROM THE ABBEY OF CHERTSEY
IN COULSDON PARISH. "WYCK", MEANT DWELLING PLACE OR HOME AND "HURST",
WAS A WOODS, HENCE PETER OF THE HOME IN THE WOODS, AN EARLY FORM OF ATWOOD. THIS
LAND IS LATER FOUND IN ATWOOD WILLS.
THE NAME ATWOOD IS BELIEVED TO HAVE BEEN OF SAXON ORIGIN. RELIABLE SOURCES PLACE ITS BEGINNING AT COULSDON, A PARISH IN SURREY COUNTY, 12 MILES SOUTH OF LONDON AND ADJOINING CROYDON AND SANDERSTEAD. THE UNUSUAL COMPOUNDING OF THE PREPOSITION (ATTE) WITH THE NOUN (WUDU) DISTINGUISHES THE ATWOOD NAME FROM OTHER LOCAL NAMES. IN THE MAJORITY OF ENGLISH SURNAMES, THE PREPOSITION IS DISGUISED, UNLIKE THOSE OF FRENCH ORIGIN IN WHICH IT IS OBVIOUS AND FOUND IN NAMES LIKE DUBOIS AND DUPONT.
THE FIRST RECORD OF THE NAME APPEARS IN THE 12TH CENTURY PIPE ROLLS AND IS SPELLED ATTEWODE. THESE ROLLS GIVE A DETAILED ACCOUNTING OF THE KING'S RECEIPTS AND RENTS, FINES AND PRIVATE EXPENDITURES AND IS ONE OF OUR MOST VALUABLE SOURCES OF NOMENCLATURE OF THE MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASSES OF ENGLISH CITIZENS. SINCE THERE WAS NO STANDARDIZED SPELLING OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE UNTIL AFTER THE 17TH CENTURY, ANCIENT RECORDS SHOW THE NAME IN MANY FORMS: ATTE WODE, DE WOODE, DEBOIS (FRENCH), DE BOSCO (LATIN), ATTE WOODD, ATTWOOD AND ATWOOD. IN CERTAIN DOCUMENTS OF WILLIAM PRYNNE (1600 TO 1699), AN ENGLISH PURITAN, THERE IS EVIDENCE OF REPEATED INTERCHANGE OF "WOOD" AND "ATWOOD" AS THE NAME OF ONE OF HIS CONSTITUENTS AT BATH.
THE ATWOODS OF WORCESTERSHIRE OF SAXON TIMES, THE ATWOODS OF SUFFOLK OF EARLY NORMAN TIMES, THE ATWOODS OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE AND THE ATWOODS OF SURREY AND KENT, OUR LINE, ALL HAVE SIMILAR COAT OF ARMS, EXCEPT FOR THE NUMBER OF ACORNS IN THE FIELD. THUS IT WOULD SEEM THAT THERE MAY STEMMED FROM A COMMON ANCESTOR BACK IN THE DIM PAST WHERE RECORDS DO NOT REACH AND THE DIFFERENT NUMBER OF ACORNS WERE USED TO DESIGNATE THE COUSIN LINES OF THE FAMILY. IN ALL, 15 COAT OF ARMS WERE GRANTED TO THE ATWOOD NAME.
THE "O" DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE BEEN DOUBLED BEFORE THE 16TH CENTURY. IT WAS ALWAYS WRITTEN "WODE" WHEN DESIGNATED A "FOREST" IN POETRY AS WELL AS WHEN APPLIED TO ONE WHO LIVED NEAR OR "AT" A FOREST IN PROSE DOCUMENTS. IN THE TIME OF JOHN HEWSON ATWOODE (1520 TO 1562) THERE AS A WM. DE WODE OF KENT WHO WAS ALSO KNOWN AS WM. DE WUDE.
COUNTY SURREY IS, ACCORDING TO THE ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA, AN AREA OF FOREST, SWAMP, HEATH AND OPEN DOWNLAND. THE ROMANS PASSED THROUGH THE AREA AT THE TIME OF THE INVASION BY JULIUS CAESAR (55 BC). PERHAPS USING THE ANCIENT TRACT ALONG THE DOWNS, LATER KNOWN AS THE PILGRIM WAY. ROMANIZATION, HOWEVER, DIDN'T COME UNTIL THE TIME OF CLAUDIUS (43 AD) FOR THE NEXT FOUR CENTURIES SURREY WAS RULED BY THE ROMANS AND THOUGH ROMAN REMAINS ARE RELATIVELY FEW, LARGE SETTLEMENTS APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN AT SOUTHWORK, KINGTON UPON THAMES, PARLEY HEATH NEAR ALBURY AND AT WOODCOTE NEAR CROYDON. NO ROMAN TOWN SURVIVED THE SETTLEMENT OF SURREY BY THE SAXONS AND THERE ARE FEW PLACE NAMES OF ROMAN ORIGIN. SURREY WAS NEVER AN INDEPENDENT SAXON KINGDOM. THE NAME MEANS SOUTHERN DISTRICT. NEARLY ALL PLACE NAMES ARE OF SAXON ORIGIN, A LARGE PROPORTION ARE PAGAN. THE AREA HAD A VERY SMALL POPULATION COMPARED WITH NEIGHBORING COUNTIES. AS LATE AS THE 13TH AND 14TH CENTURIES THERE MUST HAVE BEEN A STRONG CONTRAST BETWEEN THE ECCLESIASTICAL DIGNITARIES, SHARING IN THE LIFE OF THE METROPOLITAN CITY.
THE TOWN OF CHERTSEY, 22 MILES SOUTHWEST OF LONDON, IS SITUATED ON THE RIGHT BANK OF THE THAMES RIVER. CHERTSEY ABBEY WAS FOUNDED IN 666 A.D. BY ST. ERKENWALD WHO BECAME ITS FIRST ABBOT. BURNED DURING THE DANISH WARS, ABOUT 871 A.D. AND THE MONKS KILLED, IT WAS RE-ESTABLISHED FOR BENEDICTINES IN THE 10TH CENTURY. IT MAINTAINED A PROMINENT POSTION AND HELD MANY MANORS INCLUDING CHERTSEY, EGHAM, THORPE, CHOBHAM, EPSON, SUTTON AND COULSDON UNTIL IT WAS DISSOLVED IN 1537. DURING THE REIGN OF EDWARD THE CONFESSOR, GODWIN, EARL OF WESSEX, AND MEMBERS OF HIS FAMILY INCLUDING HAROLD, HELD MANY MANORS IN SURREY.
AFTER THE BATTLE OF HASTINGS IN 1066, WILLIAM I, TOOK THESE FOR HIMSELF OR HIS NORMAN FOLLOWERS. FOLLOWING THE INSURRECTION OF THE 15TH CENTURY, SURREY UNDER THE TUDORS BECAME A COUNTRY OF ROYAL RESIDENCES. HENRY VII, REBUILT THE PALACE AT SHEEN, RENAMING IT RICHMOND. HENRY VIII AND ELIZABETH I, RESIDED THERE AND HENRY VIII RECIEVCED HAMPTON COURT FROM CARDINAL WOLSEY, JUST ACROSS THE THAMES. THIS BROUGHT COURT OFFICIALS TO THE VILLAGES, TO THE SURREY SIDE.
AFTER THE DISSOLUTION OF THE MONASTERIES (1536\1539), HENRY BEGAN TO BUILD A FLAMBOYANT HUNTING LODGE IN SURREY, CALLED NONSUCH (LOCATED NEAR EWELL). THIS WAS BUILT PARTLY OF MATERIALS FROM THE DISSOLVED MONASTERY, MERTON, AND ON THE SITE OF THE VILLAGE OF CUDDINGTON WHICH HE HAD DESTROYED. STONES FROM WAVERLY ABBEY WERE USED IN BUILDING LOSELEY HOUSE. OATLANDS PALACE (WEYBRIDGE) HAD STONES FROM CHERTSEY ABBEY. THE REMAINS OF CHERTSEY ABBEY FELL INTO DECAY IN THE 17TH CENTURY AND FOR MANY YEARS ONLY THE GROUND PLAN WAS TRACEABLE.
DURING SHAKESPEARE'S TIME, THE COUNTY OF SURREY COULD BOAST OF THE GLOBE THEATRE AT SOUTHWARK, AND TODAY OF RACECOURSES AT EPSON DOWNS, SANDOWN PARK AND LINGFIELD PARK AND OF THE ALL ENGLAND LAWN TENNIS CLUB AT WIMBLETON.
BIRTH RECORDS WERE NOT KEPT IN THOSE DAYS EXCEPT TO PRESERVE TITLES OF KINGS AND OTHERS. HOWEVER, LAND TITLES, WILLS AND OTHER RECORDS HAVE BEEN FOUND. THE LAND WAS OWNED BY THE KING AND PUT UNDER THE CONTROL OF A LORD OR MEN OF OTHER TITLES OR WAS OWNED BY THE CHURCH UNDER THE CONTROL OF A BISHOP. THIS WAS THE MANOR SYSTEM. TO BECOME A YEOMAN OR A FREEHOLDER OF A SMALL PIECE OF LAND ONE HAD TO BE OF SOME SERVICE TO THE KING OR THE BISHOP. OVER THE YEARS THE ATWOODS SEEM TO HAVE SERVED BOTH. WHEN THE ATWOODS BEGAN TO ACQUIRE THEIR ESTATE, LONDON WAS A TOWN OF ABOUT 350,000 AND THE POPULATION OF ALL ENGLAND WAS NOT OVER THREE MILLION. TODAY MOST OF THAT ESTATE LIES WITHIN GREATER LONDON, BUT IN THE BEGINNING IT WAS JUST SOUTH ACROSS THE THAMES IN THE COUNTIES OF SURREY AND KENT. THEY HAD A HOME IN THE PARISH OF ST. MARTIN IN THE FIELDS, THEN A SUBURB OF LONDON, AND WENT OUT TO SANDERSTEAD IN SURREY, TO THEIR HOME IN THE COUNTRY.
THE NAMES SANDERSTEAD, SANDERSTEAD MANOR, SANDERSTEAD COURT AND SANDERSTEAD PLACE ARE NOT EASILY IDENTIFIABLE IN THE SOURCES USED TO COMPILE THIS VOLUME AS A BEST GUESS, IT APPEARS THAT SANDERSTEAD MANOR CONSISTED OF MANY HYDES (FARMS), BUILDINGS AND DWELLINGS. IT WA CHURCH PROPERTY AT ONE TIME, BUT NOT NECESSARLILY A MONASTERY. SANDERSTEAD COURT WAS A LARGE MANSION AND PROBABLY WAS PART OF THE MANOR. ONE SOURCE STATES THAT IT WAS BUILT IN 1676 BY HARMAN ATWOOD, BUT OTHER SOURCES CLAIM THAT "SANDERSTEDE CORTE" EXISTED AS EARLY AS 1586. PERHAPS IT WAS REBUILT OR ADDED ONTO IN 1676. SANDERSTEAD PLACE WAS YET ANOTHER PRINCIPAL DWELLING ATTACHED TO THE MANOR. IT WAS BUILT ABOUT THE TIME HENRY CONFISCATED SOME OF THE CHURCH PROPERTY AND WA TORN DOWN NEAR THE END OF THE 19TH CENTURY.
871 A.D. ... THE EARLIEST MENTION OF SANDERSTEAD IS FOUND IN SAXON CHARTERS AND IS MENTIONED IN THE WILL OF THE DUKE ALFRED (?AELFRID), WHERE IT IS SPELLED "SONDERSTEDE". THE ORIGIN OF THE NAME IS FROM "SOUDE" OR "STEDE" MEANING SANDY PLACE. THE CHARACTER OF THE SOIL IS OF A SANDY NATURE, A FEATURE VERY UNCOMMON TO THE AREA.
944\977 A.D. ... DURING THE REIGN OF KING EDGAR, ATHELFIEDA, WIFE AND QUEEN, DAUGHTER OF EARL ORDMAR, MOTHER OF ST. EDWARD, KNIG AND MARTYR, GAVE "SANDELSTEDE", WITH 18 HYDES AND CHURCH TO THE ABBEY OF HYDES.
1085 A.D. ... SHORTLY AFTER THE CONQUEST OF ENGLAND, WILLIAM THE CONQUEROR ORDERED AN INVENTORY OF ALL LANDS AND PROPERTIES FOR TAXTION. THIS RECORD IS KNOWN AS THE DOMESDAY BOOK. HERE "SANDESTEDE" CONTAINS ONLY 5 HYDES.
1536 A.D. ... HENRY VIII, AS HEAD OF THE CHURCH, DISSOLVED THE LESSER MONASTERIES AND CONFISCATED CHURCH LANDS INCLUDING SANDERSTEAD WHICH CONTAINED SANDERSTEAD MANOR OWNED THEN BY JOHN HEWSON WOOD OR ATWOOD. THE MANOR WAS THEN DEEDED TO SIR JOHN GRESHAM, UNCLE OF SIR THOMAS GRESHAM, FOUNDER OF THE LONDON EXCHANGE. ALTHOUGH THE ATWOODS REMAINED IN POSSESSION OF PART OF THE MANOR, THEY LIVED IN THE PARISH OF ST. MARTIN MOST OF THE YEAR.
1556 ... UPON HIS DEATH, SIR JOHN GRESHAM WILLED SANDERSTEAD MANOR TO HIS WIFE, KATHERINE, FOR HER LIFE, WITH THE REMAINDER OF HIS PROPERTY TO HIS THIRD SON, EDMOND.
1576\77 ... KATHERINE GRESHAM DIED AND HER SON, EDMOND, INHERITED THE MANOR. HE WAS OF THORPE MARKET IN NORFOLK, AND A MERCER (TEXTILE MERCHANT) OF LONDON.
1586 ... EDMOND GRESHAM DIED AND WILLED SANDERSTEAD MANOR TO HIS SON, RICHARD.
1591\92 ... JOHN OWNSTEAD, ESQ. (1534\1600), SON OF JOHN OWNSTEAD AND AGNES WOOD (ATWOOD) AND THE GRANDSON OF JOHN WOOD (DIED IN 1525), BOUGHT SANDERSTEAD MANOR FROM RICHARD GRESHAM.
1600 ... JOHN OWNSTEAD DIED, AUGUST 09, 1600, WITHOUT ISSUE.
1604 ... HARMAN WOOD PROBABLY REMAINED IN LONDON UNTIL AFTER THE DEATH OF JOHN OWNSTEAD, AS THE BAPTISM OF HIS OLDEST CHILD DOES NOT APPEAR IN THE SANDERSTEAD REGISTER. HE RESUMED THE OLD FAMILY NAME OF "ATWOOD" AT THE BIRTH OF HIS THIRD CHILD. THE SIZE OF THE ESTATE WAS APPROXIMATELY 3,000 ACRES AT ONE TIME.
COULSDON: A FEW MILES SOUTH OF CROYDON AND ADJOINING SANDERSTEAD ON THE SOUTHWEST. COULSDON IS THE ONLY PLACE IN SURREY WHERE RECORDS OF THE ATWOOD NAME IS FOUND BEFORE ABOUT 1400. THE MANOR OF COULSDON BELONGED TO THE ABBEY OF CHERTSEY AS DID THE ESTATES OF HOOLEY HOUSE AND WOOD PLACE.
1203 ... IN THE 4TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF JOHN, THE ABBOTT OF CHERTSEY, THEN LORD OF THE MANOR, GRANTED A MESSUAGE (DWELLING HOUSE WITH BUILDINGS, CURTILAGE AND ADJOINING LANDS), CALLED HOOLEY HOUSE, AND 30 ACRES OF LAND AND 4 ACRES OF WOOD TO PETER DE WYCKHURST AND HIS HEIRS. THEY PAYING FULL VALUE OF THE LAND.
1313 ... IN THE 6TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF EDWARD II, A MESSUAGE, CALLED WOOD PLACE, VALUED AT TWO SHILLINGS A YEAR AND ABOUT 20 ACRES OF LAND, 60 ACRES WORTH 20 SHILLINGS, 15 ACRES OF WOOD WORTH 7 SHILLINGS 6D, HELD BY PETER ATTE WODE BY SERVICE OF 13 SHILLINGS 4D, A YEAR CAME INTO THE KING'S HANDS BY REASON OF IDIOCY OF JOHN, SON OF ROGER DE BOSCO, LUCY HIS SISTER BEING HIS NEXT HEIR.
1347 ... IN THE 20TH YEAR OF THE REIGN OF EDWARD III, HOOLEY HOUSE WAS FOUND DEVOLVED ON GEOFFERY ATTE WODE, WHO HAD LICENSE TO HOLD SAME OF THE KING BY SERVICE OF ONE 40TH PART OF A KNIGHT'S FEE, AS PARCEL OF THE MANOR OF COULSDON.
1357 ... PETER ATTE WODE HAD THE BISHOP'S LICENSE FOR A PRIVATE CHAPEL IN HIS HOUSE AT LA WODE IN COULSDON. THE 4 ACRES OF WOOD AT HOOLEY HOUSE OR THE 15 AT WOOD PLACE ARE PROBABLY THE SAME AS LA WODE OF PETER'S LICENSE. Children were: ATTE WODE.
Children were: ALYSON BLAIR CREAMER , SHANNON ELIZABETH CREAMER.
She was married to JESSE RICHARD TURPIN on 13 Jun 1876. Children were: FLORENCE LOUISE TURPIN, CLARA MADALINE TURPIN, FANNIE TURPIN, ISAAC HERBERT TURPIN, ETHEL JENNETTA TURPIN , EDWIN EARL TURPIN, ALFRED ERNEST TURPIN, CLARISE TURPIN, MARY TRULLA TURPIN, CLARENCE MARLOW TURPIN, CHRISTINA TURPIN, TURPIN .
Children were: MARCUS DECKER .
She was married to ROGER MORTIMER. Children were: EDMUND MORTIMER .
He was married to JOAN DE LAMARCHE. Children were: JOAN DEGENEVILLE (COUNTESS OF MARCHE).
She was married to ERNEST COCHRAN WALLACE.
He was married to MARY JEAN VIRGINIA MACLAY. Children were: ANNE VIRGINIA DELANEY, THEODORE MACLAY DELANEY .
She was married to JOSIAH FICKES. Children were: ANNA MARGARET FICKES.
She was married to JEDEDIAH ATWOOD on 29 Nov 1747.
She was married to ABNER A. CORBIN on 10 Apr 1850 in MARION CO., IOWA.
He was married to ELIZABETH STUART. Children were: LUCINDA DEMOSS .
She was married to DIRCK JANS WOERTMAN about 1660. Children were: HARAMITA WOERTMAN, FEMMETJE (PHOEBE) WOERTMAN , JAN DERICK WOERTMAN, GEERTRUY WOERTMAN, TEUNIS DERICK WOERTMAN, PAULIS (PAUL) WOERTMAN, CATHERINE WOERTMAN, DENYSE (DENNIS) WOERTMAN, LYSBETH (ELIZABETH) WOERTMAN , ANNETJE WOERTMAN, MARRETJE WOERTMAN, PETER DERICK WOERTMAN, LOREWYCK (LODEWYCK) DERICK WOERTMAN.
Back to previous 50 names.
Go to next 50 names.
Return to Table of Contents